Whitescapes

            In the youtube video Whitescapes, Odili Donald Odita talks about how everyone sees and perceives color differently. This could be because of the absence or use of light on a certain object. Also, we all associate a visual color with an exact word, but what everyone is actually viewing may be completely different. For example, the color I see in my head for yellow, may be a completely different color than you see, but we both associate this image with the word yellow.
            I looked at a tissue and my bed spread, and classified them both as being white while looking at them individually. After placing the tissue on my bed, I noticed that while they were both "white" they seemed to be different colors, or different shades. The tissue had a more yellow tint to it, as if it were more of a cream color. On the other hand, my bed spread looked more blueish gray. It was a darker shade of white than the tissue. 
             Next, I took away all the light in my room by closing my blind and turning off the light. I was still able to see the two objects and I noticed a small change in their colors. The bed spread became a clearer white, while the tissue appeared to be more cream like. As a way to describe how the two objects are seen in different lighting, I would call my bedspread a grey cloud white, and the tissue an eggshell white. Although I would picture these two objects in my head as being the same color, I realized that while comparing them up close this was not the case.
                                            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postmodernism Project