Art Trip to Philadelphia

        Over the weekend I had the unique opportunity to go on the art trip to Philadelphia. I live about 45 minutes outside of Philly, so I am familiar with the city, but it was nice to go and visit the museums again for they are always changing the exhibits and artwork. Also, every time I go I feel I see or notice something different, whether it is a whole new piece, or even a different perspective on something I have already seen before. 

        At the Philadelphia State Penitentiary, we took the walking tour of the different wings and cells. It was crazy to see how the prisoners lived and the conditions of the prison. I tried to imagine what it would have been like if I were living there while the prison was still in operation. For some reason this green door stood out to me. I found myself staring at it for a while fascinated by the colors.














The second picture is an installation that was in one of the cells. In this installation, the artist used the faces of the people who were murdered by prisoners that lived in the Penitentiary. This installation evoked emotion in everyone, because the murder victims became actual people instead of just a name on a list.












          We also went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. The painting on the wall was done by Andrew Warhol. It was on a light blue background, and was done with different amounts of glitter showing contrast and different shades throughout the piece. I found it really interesting how he was able to make it so realistic. This trip was a great experience, and I look forward to other trips in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postmodernism Project

Whitescapes